Lead Environmental Specialist
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers, and suppliers.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
- Comply with all applicable safety- and health-related rules, regulations, and procedures;
- Work safely themselves and help their teammates work safely;
- Assist supervisors and managers in identifying and mitigating potentially hazardous conditions; and
- Help the organization maintain a safe and healthy workplace.
- Coordination and Management of Hazardous Waste Program and Support to Spill Response
- Ensure that SSC maintains compliance with all applicable hazardous and universal waste regulations and SSC permits and procedures.
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to hazardous and universal waste generators and satellite accumulation area managers
- Collect wastes from on-site generators and transporting to the hazardous waste accumulation point
- Hazardous waste characterization, waste tracking, and coordination of hazardous waste shipments (preparation and loading oversight)
- Develop procedures for the management of hazardous and universal waste
- Perform and document various hazardous waste inspections
- Provide guidance for spill response, reporting, and waste disposal
- Document all chemical and fuel spills
- Conduct training for waste generators
- Prepare regulatory and contractual reports
- Universal Waste Management oversight
- Pharmaceutical Waste Management oversight
- Environmental Compliance data compilation and reporting
- Conduct audits of off-site disposal facilities
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in environmental science, engineering, or related scientific field
- 2-5 years environmental compliance experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of the federal, state (Mississippi), and local environmental regulations
- 40-Hour HAZWOPER current certification a plus
- Must complete on-the-job training that teaches the individual to perform their duties in a way that ensures compliance with applicable regulations and Stennis Space Center requirements.
- DOT HAZMAT Shipping
- Lift minimum of 30 pound load
- Bend and stoop periodically per day
- Push and pull periodically throughout the day
- Walk up/down stairs frequently
- Climb ladders and scaffolding
- Wear PPE gear periodically (steel toe shoes, safety glasses, hard hat, gloves)
- Tolerate extreme cold/heat periodically
Building 1100N, Room 1002
Stennis Space Center, MS